Cryptocurrencies are revolutionizing the way we think about money. According to experts, they are here to stay and will bring a technological revolution that we've never seen before. So far, one of the exciting new ways to profit from cryptocurrencies is mining.
Crypto mining is the method used to validate transactions on the blockchain for a selected cryptocurrency. It involves a decentralized network of specialized computers to verify new transactions on the blockchain. Choosing the best OS for mining is crucial and will determine your success or failure. The best Operating System should have a strong community and security features. In the article, we will go through the best OS for crypto mining and help you choose the most suitable for you. Let's dive in!
Tips to consider when choosing an OS for cryptocurrency mining
When looking out for the best OS for mining 2022, you should consider these factors crucial to OS recommendations. Choosing the correct operating system for your mining operations may significantly impact how much money you make. The best OS for bitcoin mining and other cryptocurrencies should have the following;
Crypto mining rewards the fastest miners; hence you will be competing with other miners. The best OS for crypto mining has optimized settings that make mining fast and efficient. To stay one step ahead, ensure your mining setup is easy to launch and processes mining activities quickly.
Your software should be such that you can regularly update it and must be compatible with the rest of your mining setup. It should have functions for overclocking to improve optimal performance and undervolting to minimize energy use as crypto mining requires a lot of power for computational processes.
- Multi-currency mining feature
If you want to mine more than one type of cryptocurrency, ensure your OS has a multi-currency mining feature.
The best OS also allows for multiple profiles to be created. Let's browse through the best-operating systems with optimized properties for mining cryptocurrencies.
6 Best OSs For Mining Cryptocurrency
Windows 10 is a relatively recent operating system from Microsoft and is regarded as the best Windows OS for mining. Due to specific mining requirements, you need a minimum of 64GB RAM, a 4th generation Intel core i3 processor, or higher.
- Windows 10 is easy to set up and use, making it a great option to mine cryptocurrencies from home.
- With its power slider feature, you can adjust your power consumption, optimizing energy use.
- Windows 10 is known to have the best driver support and provides a great user experience.
- Windows 10 can support installing up to 12 video cards, either AMD or Nvidia.
- This OS has excellent compatibility with all new software and hardware components.
- Windows 10 supports all new hardware, drivers, and software, promoting greater operability.
- It can be very demanding and consume a lot of computer resources.
- It requires a special configuration for mining and uses more than 700MB of video memory for some cryptocurrency mining.
- Windows presents a great GUI but does not support multiple rigs in one interface.
Windows 10 OS for crypto mining is free.
Ubuntu is one of the best Linux OS for mining cryptocurrencies. It is an open-source operating system with the distinguishing features of high stability and uptight security, essential for successful mining operations.
- It stands as one of the best Linux mining OS as it can support the installation of up to 16 graphics cards.
- It places a lower demand on computer resources and allows for the utilization of a lower volume of video memory.
- Linux provides great stability to mining activities and is less likely to crash or restart during update sessions.
- Ubuntu provides a unique feature with various scripting languages and options to automate your mining rigs.
- Working with Linux requires more technical know-how than the average PC skills.
- There's little information on setting up a Linux OS for mining, so you need to watch videos to navigate that easily.
The Linux software is free, although some distributions are not free.
MacOS is built on Unix and is designed for Intel-based Macs. It is the best OS for GPU mining with the minimum requirement of 16GB RAM and an Apple A10 processor for top performance.
- It is designed for users to experience a smooth and effective mining performance.
- MacOS is also known to consume less power for mining operations.
- Its winning edge over other OSs is that it uses GPU rather than CPU, making it the prime choice for solving complex computational problems with light speed.
- MacOS software possesses the increased computational capability and can handle the high processing power requirements needed for mining, making it one of the best os for mining crypto.
- The requirements to run mining software on MacOS are not as easy to meet as on other operating systems.
- Setting your mining operation to the background can affect the performance of other programs you run concurrently with the mining in progress.
MacOS is free for crypto mining, but launching your mining setup can attract costs.
SimpleMining OS is an easy-to-use Plug and Play Linux Mining OS tool used to perform cryptocurrency GPU mining. Before using a simple mining OS, you need to install an 8GB USB Flash.
- It provides a way to regulate voltage use at different times, making it easy to manage electricity costs as it changes with time.
- Simple mining OS is one of the best crypto mining OS, with each mining setup capable of supporting up to 60 miners.
- It's easy to use and contains guides on operating the software and other technical know-how actions.
- It doesn't require additional configuration processes or installation of graphic drivers, and it comes with its mining software.
- It's very lightweight and has low system requirements compared to other OS options.
- You don't get a notification when new miners are added.
- It is not entirely free, as the free version is limited to one rig for 30 days.
Simple mining OS is one of the best free mining OS to consider, but the free version lasts for only 30 days, after which you're charged $2 per month. The price reduces as you increase the number of rigs you operate.
RaveOS is an intuitive and easy-to-use operating system that allows you to configure, manage, and administer your rigs and mining software. To use RaveOS, you need the minimum requirements of 4GB drive and 4GB RAM.
- The RaveOS platform supports a large variety of graphic cards and mining software.
- When you ask, what is the best OS for mining? RaveOS stands out as one of the top options on the list as it has excellent functionality for mining operations and contains the regular pros that Linux OS offers.
- It supports android and iOS by offering a companion mobile app that can perform operations like overclocking, remote monitoring, rebooting, etc.
- There are no significant disadvantages to using RaveOS for crypto mining.
RaveOS offers three pricing plans. The first, called the enthusiast package, is free with access to one worker and can support three devices.
The pro package comes with better customer support and costs $2 per month for each rig. The last plan, the corporate package, can support up to 300 devices, and the pricing is based on how many miners you choose to use.
Finally, all RaveOS users who register on 2Miners.com are not charged when joining mining pools.
MinerOS is regarded as one of the best mining OS for crypto mining. It is a stable mining operating system that allows you to easily configure and manage your mining rigs and software. You need the minimum requirements of an 8GB drive to install it.
- MinerOS can support up to 24 miners and constantly provides miner updates every 3-4 days.
- It has one of the best OS mining features, including the advantages found in regular Linux builds.
- It's easy to install and set up and has an intuitive user interface that makes the system configuration easy and fast.
- You can perform many functions like overclocking your video cards and creating GPU and CPU mining tasks while getting prompt notifications via telegram.
There is limited functionality for managing and monitoring mining rigs.
MinerOS offers three pricing plans. The first is the free package for beginners and home miners with 1-3 workers. The professional package costs $1 per rig from 3 workers upward, and the business package for corporate miners offers more than 300 rigs with individual billing.
Does Computer Hardware Matter in Cryptocurrency Mining?
OS can affect not only the speed of your PC but also its reliability and security. Similarly, the main thing that impacts the operating system performance is the hardware it is used on. So, When it comes to what OS is best for mining cryptocurrencies, you need to pay attention to the hardware requirements for mining operations. The best OS for mining Ethereum, Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies usually possesses the following hardware requirements.
- Great power efficiency
Computational mining operations consume a lot of power. Hence, to avoid your electricity bills from going to the high side, it's recommended that your hardware is such that it can optimize mining operations with the lowest power consumption. A system with a higher wattage consumes lower power, while a system with a low wattage has lower power efficiency. Your system should have a minimum of 1000W output.
- CPU vs. GPU
CPUs generally spend more time working on mining tasks, making it difficult to maximize hash rates to better position yourself for profitability. On the other hand, GPUs are known for speedier work rates and top performance. If you're working with a CPU, ensure it has at least 4-8 GBs of DRAM.
- Graphics card
The best graphics cards to consider for mining are those developed by AMD and Nvidia.
A minimum requirement of 4GB is needed for mining, although getting 8GB improves the performance of your system.
Crypto mining is one of the alternative ways to make money from cryptocurrencies. By being the first to perform a complicated computational calculation, miners are rewarded with new coins.
Your effort, time, and resources can be a waste if your system is not optimized for crypto mining. Therefore, knowing which OS is best for mining is important for profitable mining operations.
The best mining rig OS has good power efficiency, fast processing speed, mining software compatibility, and good graphics card software.
In order to avoid squandering time and resources on machines that aren't up to the task of mining, another alternative is to rent hosting on a hosting site.
A hosting service provides facilities to store ASICs, reducing costs and improving miners' convenience. When you use a hosting service, you don't have to install any hardware or software before you can mine cryptocurrencies.
Minery.io is the best hosting service that provides a wide range of professional hosting services for crypto mining operations. It is designed for beginners and pros and provides the best crypto mining experience for profitable mining. Hosting solutions reduce the downsides of crypto mining, including excessive heat, noise, and high energy requirements.